Applications Powered by 9P
Here are some example applications that use 9P in various ways, I have excluded Plan 9 and
Inferno native applications because on those systems all applications (directly or indirectly) use 9P ;)
- Acme SAC - A programmer’s editor, shell, and user interface for Windows, Linux and OS X.
- XCPU - Cluster management tool by the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Styx-on-a-Brick - Control Lego “Mindstorms” over 9P.
- WMII - X11 window manager.
- m9u - A music server/player with a file system interface, by sqweek.
- 9mount - A collection of tools to make it easier to mount and manage (ie., bind) mounting of 9P file servers in linux systems.
- dev9 (http://kyuba.org/dev9 - Currently offline) - Linux /dev-ice manager implemented as a 9p server that replaces the functionality of devfs and udev.
- conceptfs - An FS using Formal Concept Analysis to organize files and directories. Among other things it offers a functionality ‘similar’ to iTunes.
- VirtFS - Lets you share files between a QEMU virtual machine and the host using 9P over the Virtio - I/O virtualization framework.
- devwsys-prev - Wsys device: a rio(4)-like 9p filesystem on top of X11 and the Inferno drawing libraries.